Jimmy, Jing Lv wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Why would I use
>>
>> portLib->mem_allocate_memory(portLib....)
>>
>> over just calling
>>
>> hymem_allocate_memory(portlib, ....)
>>

> Hi Geir:
>
>    Not sure if the later is "hymem_allocate_memory(int size)"? If so,
> they are the same indeed, and the later is the a macro. Everytime before
> we use the macro, call "PORT_ACCESS_FROM_ENV (env)"
>    e.g.:
>    somemethod(JNIEnv * env, ...){
>     PORT_ACCESS_FROM_ENV (env);
>     hymem_allocate_memory(sizeof(something));
>    }
>
>    And they are defined in hyport.h. :)

I think the second style is more readable, so would advocate using that.

As you say, the readable macros are set up using the PORT_ACCESS_FROM_*
directives, so that you can use them if you are passed different types.

PORT_ACCESS_FROM_ENV(JNIEnv)      - you have a JNIEnv struct ptr
PORT_ACCESS_FROM_JAVAVM(JavaVM)   - you have a JavaVM struct ptr
PORT_ACCESS_FROM_PORT(portlib)    - you have a portlib ptr

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.