On 6/29/06, Paulex Yang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Jimmy, Jing Lv wrote:
> Andrew Zhang wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I'm struggling to write a stable test for blocking write/read
>> operation of
>> Socket and SocketChannel.
>>
>> Could you anybody help me out?
>>

> Hi Andrew:
>
>     The network testing is a problem to me as well. As all I/O depends
> on OS, I wonder there is a way to ensure the data has pass the network
> and reach the destination.
>     As Tim mentioned, a close of socket may cause a real flush and
> send the data, however on my workstation(windows XP, RI v1.5.06), the
> testcase you listed below still fails randomly (fails 1 out of 4
> approximately) on RI, is that a bug of RI?
>     I also notice that a testcase of pipe meets such situation(in
> Harmony implementation, pipe use SocketChannel as its two channels),
> which is in SourcechannelTest, test_read_$LByteBufferII() and
> test_read_$LByteBuffer():
>
>     ByteBuffer[] bufArray = { buffer, positionedBuffer };
>     sink.write(bufArray);
>     do {
>     long count = source.read(readBufArray, 0, 2);
>         if (count < 0) {
>         break;
>     }totalCount += count;
>     } while (totalCount != 10 && !isBlocking);
>     // assert read result
>     for (ByteBuffer readBuf : readBufArray) {
>     // RI may fail because of its bug implementation
>     assertEquals(BUFFER_SIZE, readBuf.position());
>     assertEquals("bytes", new String(readBuf.array(), ISO8859_1));
>     }
>
>     Seems RI fails to write all data in bufArray into network (but it
> always at least write the first ByteBuffer in the array, strange! ),
> even I add "close" in the testcase.
>
>     It is important to test the code of read I/O. However the testcase
> is hard to write. I notice many unstable testcases are deleted in
> nio.channels, though they are valuable in ensuring the code is right
> in some way. And seems non-blocking network operation are much more
> unstable than blocking ones (And another strange thing is that one
> workstation here NEVER fail on any of such testcases!) .I think it is
> a limitation of unit test, for it can hardly control some changefully
> situation, or it'll be meaningless.
For non-blocking socket I/O, except closing socket in proper time to
make it flush, we may also need to execute the read-try to assert-wait
in a loop until it receives all bytes we expected, however, timeout may
be necessary to avoid test case hanging, I think it should be safe to
assume the tests fail if it cannot pass assertion after some reasonable
time, even for non-blocking I/O.

+1.

Timeout makes our test more robust.

    I'd like to see if there are great ideas on such issue. Before

--
Paulex Yang