Nathan Beyer wrote:
> The concern I would have about this is the scenario where it actually is a
> StringBuffer, especially an empty StringBuffer. The point of the instanceof
> check and delegation to the contentEquals(StringBuffer) is to maintain
> synchronization guarantees of StringBuffer. If we call the 'length()' before
> the instanceof check, those calls will take place outside of a single
> synchronized block.

But since StringBuffer is supposed to be threadsafe, do I have to worry
about synchronizing on the object to get a correct value of length() in
the event that cs is a StringBuffer?

> I wrote the original implementation of this method, so the validity and
> correctness of this is definitely up for discussion. I based my decision for
> the "single synchronization" on the implementation of the
> String(StringBuffer) and contentEquals(StringBuffer), which provide
> additional synchronization above that which is inherent to StringBuffer.
>
> Personally, I've never assumed that the synchronization of StringBuffer
> would every be guaranteed beyond method calls to the class itself, but I can
> understand the rationale for doing this, as you'd want the outcome of the
> methods to be deterministic regardless of concurrency scenarios.

I'm not sure where the lack of determinism comes from for this case -
testing if the CharSequence has a zero length - but I'm interested in
understanding why.

geir