correction:
RI throws NoSuchAlgorithmException for
   new EncryptedPrivateKeyInfo("0", new byte[598]);

On 7/4/06, Boris Kuznetsov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
So, we should always follow RI?
Even when RI behavior is not consistent and contradicts the spec.?

Here is one example:

javax.crypto.EncryptedPrivateKeyInfo(algName, encryptedData) spec. states:
"NoSuchAlgorithmException - if the specified algName is not supported."

For code:
    new EncryptedPrivateKeyInfo(":/. ",new byte[598];
RI output is
java.security.NoSuchAlgorithmException: unrecognized algorithm name: 0
       at sun.security.x509.AlgorithmId.get(AlgorithmId.java:105)
       at javax.crypto.EncryptedPrivateKeyInfo.<init>(Ljava.lang.String;[B)V(Da
shoA12275:???)

But the following code produses NumberFormatException on RI
    new EncryptedPrivateKeyInfo(":/. ",new byte[598];

RI output:
java.lang.NumberFormatException: For input string: ":/"
       at java.lang.NumberFormatException.forInputString(NumberFormatException.
java:48)
       at java.lang.Integer.valueOf(Integer.java:553)
       at sun.security.util.ObjectIdentifier.<init>(ObjectIdentifier.java:69)
       at sun.security.x509.AlgorithmId.algOID(AlgorithmId.java:312)
       at sun.security.x509.AlgorithmId.get(AlgorithmId.java:98)

On 7/3/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I think that the details should be considered in this, but I'd rather us
>  follow the RI (and log it as a difference from the spec) if we have
> some inkling that user code will be affected by it.
>
> geir
>

> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> > Do I undersyand correctly that even when spec says e.g.
> > that Exception1 is thrown when parameter1 == 10 and RI
> > throws Exception2 then we follow RI ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Mikhail

Best regards,