IMNSHO I don't think we should by default copy the toString()
behaviour from the RI, unless mandated by the spec in JavaDoc.
Frankly, the toString() has always been undefined, and I'm sick off
Java developers saying "Well, yes, but I always expect it to be
[name='value',name='other value']" and then writing toString() methods
that do exactly the same.

toString() was never meant to be a dump of the object's fields and
values. It was meant to be a string representation of the object. And
it's an insanely ineffecient measure to dump out all of an object's
fields using toString() anyway, because of all the wasted
concatenation that goes on when you have nested objects.

It would be much better if Java developers on the whole got over the
fascination with toString() and its format, and used better mechanisms
for writing out debug state (e.g. dump(Writer) *) if they needed -- or
better yet, just used a debugger.

Alex.

* Why everyone wants to stream toString() values is beyond me. If you
just write the output to a stream in the first place, you get the
concatenation for free without having to do all that expensive memory
manipuation.