Anton Avtamonov wrote:
Hi Richard,

Very good example.
You are right, spec says nothing about invalid radix processing for
nextInt(). RI behavior just proves they have no guard check. However
useRadix() produces IAE for the invalid radix and the sound of logic
says that IAE is a proper reaction for wrong radix in any method with
radix. Looks like a bug in RI for me...

Don't beat me please :-), but I would suggest two approaches:
- either no checks for radix, so that underlying algorithm does or
doesn't produce some exceptions
- implement guard check and produce IAE.

I believe that right solution is the second one - produce IAE -
however it potentailly results in less compatibility with RI.

Thanks a lot, Anton.

Actually, I'd like to follow RI's behavior except throwing a meaningless PatternSyntaxException when radix is 0.

It's said that RI will update spec instead of implementation when bug is reported[1] [2] ;-)

1. http://www.mail-archive.com/harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg09588.html 2. http://www.mail-archive.com/harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg09589.html

--
Richard Liang
China Software Development Lab, IBM