Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

> Tim Ellison wrote:
>> Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
>>> I'm not sure it is just a name clash problem - drlvm won't give the
>>> hythread library if the class lib hadn't requested it.
>> The classlib builds it's own copy of the hythread library, so there is
>> no need for a compatible VM to rebuild it or provide it.
>>
>> VMs are free to use the thread library for their own implementation, or
>> use another thread library (but they shouldn't replace classlib's).
>
> Why not?  Just curious what the downside is.

Maybe I'm missing the point here...

...either you are building the same thread library and replacing it,
which is only a waste of time; or you are building a different thread
library and replacing it, which is likely to upset the classlib code.

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.