Hi Alex,

It's a pitty what you didn't find common sense in my post. Probably I
was not clear enough. My key points are:
1. JUnit is much like a standard of unit testing today
2. We are using JUnit already, have thousands of tests
3. May be I was not correct about bugs in TestNG - I assume that it
can turn out to be a marvellous tool. I don't have much TestNG
experience yet. But IMHO we still need the strong motivation to start
such a serious migration process from JUnit to TestNG. Are we really
dissatisfied with JUnit so much?
4. Healthy conservatism may have common sense sometimes :)

With best regards,.

2006/7/11, Alex Blewitt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
On 10/07/06, Alexei Zakharov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi George,
>
> > For the purposes of this discussion it would be fascinating to find out
> > why you refer to TestNG as being an "unstable" test harness. What is
> > that statement based on ?
>
> My exact statement was referring to TestNG as "probably unstable"
> rather than simply "unstable". ;)  This statement was based on posts
> from Richard Liang about the bug in the TestNG migration tool and on
> common sense. If the project has such an obvious bug in one place it
> may probably have other bugs in other places. JUnit is quite famous
> and widely used toolkit that proved to be stable enough. TestNG is
> neither famous nor widely used.

Unfortunately, this isn't terribly correct :-) The purpose of the
JUnit migration tool is to automatically add annotations to an
existing source, and is independent from the test harness itself.
TestNG is also quite famous, and indeed, a lot of what's available in
JUnit4 was based on ideas from TestNG. It's also been around since
August 2004, so it's had almost a couple of years out in the field
(and as the download page [1] shows, it's pretty active). There's also
plugins for any build system you care to name (ant, maven, Eclipse,
IntelliJ) and it's pretty widely adopted in certain areas.

In short, not a terribly common-sense post :-)

Alex.

[1] http://testng.org/doc/download.html

--
Alexei Zakharov,