Tim Ellison wrote:
> Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Tim Ellison wrote:
>>> (not trying to be provocative, just trying to understand)
>>>
>>> "they" = the concurrency authors?
>>> "do this" = produce builds or check the code into our repository?
>
> Did I get this right?

Sorry - I missed this - "they" really was Doug, and "do this" is "take
the code".  Checking it in simply is good practice for peace of mind.

>>> No we didn't.
>>>
>>> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/incubator/harmony/enhanced/classlib/trunk/sandbox/?view=log&pathrev=421111
>>>
>>> Perhaps it was created in the trunk by mistake.
>> Oh, right.  Sorry - there was a sandbox in enhanced/trunk which is what
>> I thought it was checked into...
>
> So does anyone object to the proposed code being moved out of the
> enhanced subtree while we stare at it, thereby preserving our definition
> of 'enhanced'.

I sort of do because we are utterly inconsistent about this, but if you
look at my other message, if we just shove this into /standard/ the
whole problem seems to magically go away anyway, so go ahead.

>>> It strikes me as a strange model.  If there is a well-run, active
>>> project with compatible license elsewhere I'm struggling to see why we
>>> would not just join in there, and all enjoy the fruits of the combined
>>> work <g>.  Maybe this was discussed as part of the suggestion from Doug?
>> Doug just suggested that we'd be well served using his code since it's
>> public domain and the definitive implementation.
>>
>> If there is a well-run, active project with compatible license
>> elsewhere, please point it out.  As far as I know, this is the only
>> implementation out there, and is why it's taken and used by IBM, BEA,
>> Apple and Sun in the same way we're proposing.
>
> (IBM does not source the code directly from there, but that is a
> different matter)
>
>> Why not just "enjoy the fruits" of what's being offered as public domain
>> by arguably the world's top expert on the subject?  While we have lots
>> of talent around here, I'd be very surprised if we could do better.
>
> No arguments from me, that was the point that I was making too.  Let's
> work with that project where we need to do so, and take their code as a
> dependency for Harmony.

That's what we're doing.

>>> Do you think it is reasonable to work with that group to make the code
>>> usable by Harmony as well as Sun?
>>>
>> Yes, of course, although it seems usable now...
>
> Not without the modifications that nathan has been working on.

We want to avoid modifying their code.

>>> I guess the alternative is that we replicate Sun's internal APIs if we
>>> want to make the incoming code read-only (and presumably put it into the
>>> depends/ directory).
>> I don't understand the bit about the depends directory, but yes, I think
>> that using this code as-is would require us to implement
>> sun.misc.Unsafe, and I do think it's a reasonable thing to suggest to
>> Doug that a neutral package is chosen for this....  like
>> "org.apache.harmony.Unsafe" :)
>
> Now we are talking ;-)  In fact, if Sun want to publish the API I'm even
> prepared to give up the o.a.h. bit <g>

That works for me too, although the joy of seeing "harmony" in a Sun VM
package dep would be a hoot...

> <snip>

>>> I haven't checked, I took Nathan at his word.
>> They are labeled as TCK tests, but by definition, the TCK only comes
>> from the Spec lead.
>>
>> http://gee.cs.oswego.edu/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/jsr166/src/test/tck/
>>
>> So from our POV, while this is code that is used in the TCK, it's not
>> the TCK, and if we accept the public domain terms, we should be free to
>> use them to augment our test suite.
>
> I agree (modulo the general 'taking code' discussion underway).
>
> <snip>
>
>>> I thought we were trying to reach a conclusion which is why I was
>>> surprised to see the code appear.
>> We are still trying to reach a conclusion, actually two of them - the
>> techincal conclusion, and the process/legal one.
>>
>> I think having the code around to stare at will make the technical
>> conclusion easier (and my first comment is that we shouldn't be
>> modifying Doug' stuff, even just to change package name of atomic support).
>
> The code has always been around, but whatever.  If having it local helps
> then I'm fine with it being in the standard area of the repository for
> reference.
>
> Perhaps we should have the discussion about modifying the concurrency
> code for interaction with the VM / class library over on the
> concurrency-interest list?

That's very reasonable, but I think that getting it to work as a proto
using the work that Nathan as done and other help would be beneficial,
as we can then go to them with working code and a good argument as to
why they need to do this.