2006/7/18, Andrew Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Seems most people prefer subclass to SocketException with ErrorCodeException
cause.

Does anyone prefer the latter? or both are acceptable?

I think we'd better made an agreement about this issue.

Mikhail, how do you think about it? Which one do you prefer? :) I'll fix
Harmony-815 once decision is made.

both seem ok, no prefs from my side

Thanks,
Mikhail

Thanks!

On 7/18/06, Alexey Varlamov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> IMHO, throwing a subclass certainly fits to specification and can
> hardly break compatibility with RI. I consider this is the proper
> workaround for now.
> Just my $0.02 :)
>
> --
> Alexey Varlamov
> >
> > In this case, I guess if we set the cause to null when catching the
> > SocketException will properly solve the problem. However it seems
> > difficult as Throwable.initCause() can be called only once.
> >
> > If throwing a subclass may also break compatibility guideline, I still
> > suggest return value, though it may break the current
> > infrastructure(currently, all errors throw exception), it is still easy
> > to deal with, only some of operation, read/write, require a little
> > change, and we no longer need "try...catch" in Java code
> >
> > BTW, I find the code shall also deal with InterruptIOException.

Andrew Zhang
China Software Development Lab, IBM