Paulex Yang wrote:
> I still confuse what we want to test, the logic or the data? I think
> most (if not all) i18n related methods actually have same single
> executable with multiple resource bundles, i.e., the single executable
> should be locale-independent, the different return value is due to the
> resource data difference. I think at least for now, we should pay our
> attention to logic of single executable, and leave the data verification
> to the i18n libraries' author, say, ICU, they have much more knowledge
> and authority (at least than me) on this area.

Agreed

> If we can get agree on the above, so the i18n related test cases
> organization are easier to judge: the logic is locale-independent,

Ah, that is why I was trying to determine.  If the logic is
locale-independent then picking a locale to test with is ok; but it was
unclear that was the case when changing locale caused assertion failures.

> so ideally the tests should be locale-independent, but we have some
> exceptional cases, say, the en_UK in MessageFormat case,

Do you mean that in this case the logic /is/ locale dependent?  I'm
confused again <g>.

> so we cannot make our tests rely on the default locale, then we just
> specify one locale(en_US) to the tests, and supplement some
> exceptional case when we find some. i.e., I don't think we need
> ABC_en_US_Test, or so.

Right, I don't think we need to have test_en_US blah, unless perhaps we
pick one as the base for locale-dependent tests, otherwise we just run
all tests in the machine default locale.

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.