Leo Simons wrote:
> Hey gang,
>
> I know I've talked about this with a bunch of people (specifically also at the
> last apachecon), but I couldn't find it stated anywhere in a public e-mail, so
> I figured I'd waste a bit of everyone's time and write an email. I hope its
> all
> obvious stuff anyway.
>
> Harmony has received and processed *many* *big* corporate contributions,
> more than any other apache project before us. This is in large part because
> harmony is such a unique project, implementing something big for which there
> have been many implementations for over 10 years.
>
> This is really cool -- for one these contributions have allowed us to grow
> at a tremendous rate and reach many milestones *really quickly*.
>
> There is, however, therefore a bit of a contrast with "normal apache
> process".

Well, I'm not so sure, as this isn't "our process" - we have no agenda
or commitment to grow only this way.  We set out to build an Apache
community, and are building that community, and I think we're doing a
good job.

> I thought I'd highlight this as a specific goal that we *need* to
> reach at some point (and I apologize for the bad wording):
>
>   contributions should at some point start consisting of
>   (mostly/only) small patches developed right here within the
>   project (on this mailing list), with each contributor participating
>   actively, in public (on this mailing list, or, perhaps, through our
>   issue tracker).

Have you been watching the patch flow, the commit flow, the JIRA flow,
and the mail traffic??  There still are chunks that are coming (thanks,
contributors!), but there's an *incredible amount* of 'standard Apache
process' activity, and it's growing every day.

(We want to accept even 1 line patches via JIRA if we can for clarity of
source and licensing...)

In july, we've had (so far!) 1827 commits (or so.)  I think we've had 4
bulk contributions, which would result in ... 4 ... commits (ok, if they
were big, there might be 25 mails generated or something per each of
those, but you see my point? :)

I don't wish to beat a dead horse, but I'm really sensitive to this
"Harmony development happens elsewhere" meme, expecially when there is
ample evidence it isn't true.

> To contast -- there's quite a few open source projects out there which have
> one or a few "maintainers", with most other parties not being "committers",
> but rather those developers are supposed to be submitting patches or
> contributions, and they get integrated only after approval. Even very frequent
> contributors go the same route. I think this is roughly how the linux kernel
> is maintained, for example, and they regularly accept "big" pieces of new
> stuff that came from "somewhere" as a mater of course. That's fine, but its
> Not "our way" :)

Nope, and I don't think that anyone has any interest in working this way.

> My understanding is that harmony now has sizeable pieces of code for most of
> the major pieces (except for all the various "tools"), so the natural
> expectancy AIUI is that the rate of "big contributions" is going to slow down
> just because we won't need them as much anymore. I hope so, and I think its
> happening already. Its a Good Thing.

yep.  And the slowdown isn't because we're setting policy to not accept,
but rather that the work is continuing to transition here, and there's
isn't much more out there our original contributors have to donate (I
assume)

I mean, if Sun offered us a big contribution.... :)

> Yep, it feels like I've succeeded at writing down something obvious and
> redundant. Good.

Yep.   Another fine message from the Department of Redundancy Department.

geir