Hi everyone,

Though Harmony VM 5 hasn't appeared yet(I hope it ready in the near further), I'd like to start work on an implementation of the java.lang.instrument[1]. After some study on this, I find Java interface classes/interfaces are quite easy, but there should be real implement, both in java and native. And the native code requires JVMTI[2], which is a part of VM 5. Though, luckily we can still study and code according to JVMTI and test on RI. So my goal is : 1.define those simple Java classes/interfaces in Harmony; 2. work out implementation of java/native code according to JVMTI and make it run on RI; 3. wait for Harmony VM5 and then make some integration modification/test. According to Harmony naming convention, I think the implementation class should be in org.apache.harmony.luni.internal.lang.instrument(a little too long, is it necessary to cut it shorter?). One problem is that it may have no suitable unit test for its implementation(except for some easy ones for exception class, etc), as all tests on this requires starting a VM to run. If I'm not wrong, I remember there's some of implementation also meet this problem, e.g, InheritedChannel. For this non-unit-testable implementation, shall Harmony contain some non-unit-test(some small application), or at least some document(How to use/test) to ensure its quality?

    Any comments and advices? Thanks!

[1]http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/lang/instrument/package-summary.html
[2]http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/jvmti/jvmti.html

--