Spark Shen wrote:
I constructed a MockComparator as below:
public static class MockComparator<T> implements Comparator<T> {
       public int compare(T o1, T o2) {
           if(null == o1) return -1;
           if(o1.equals(o2)) {
               return 0;
           }
           return 1;
       }
}

This comparator regards null as the smallest object and TreeMap uses this Comparator as a null-tolerable comparator. And this comparator is used to test the behavior of TreeMap.headMap() when the input is null.

Since null is recognized as smallest, the expected length of the returned SortedMap of TreeMap.headMap(null) will be zero.

My point here is that, under this situation, the MockComparator does not care about the order of non-null objects, it just know null is always smaller. So, is it acceptable that - in this comparator, compare method does not judge the order of all the non-null objects?
(does not comply with doc of comparator.compare)

What will happen when both o1 and o2 are null?

My understanding about mocked objects is that: we could only implement some necessary logic, but the logic must be compliant with the specification. Correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Richard
Best regards

--