Nadezhda,

I've looked through the structure of site directory, and I think there
should be no problem in converting the docs into XML whatever the
formatting is. (I must say that I studied the XSL transformation rather
than the Anakia one. But both of them should give the same result.)

As far as I understand the <hX> tags are to be converted to <section>
and <subsection>, all other tags may be left without any change. Also
the header (<meta>, <title>) information needs converting.

I think there should be a way to link in additional CSS style sheet to
preserve the original formatting. And CSS style sheets might need
adjusting because of the change in the resulting HTML document
structure, but it shouldn't be too complex though.

I can try to convert one of the docs. Shall I try?
And there may be a way to automate the conversion using a script.

Any other thoughts?

Alexey A. Ivanov
Intel Middleware Product Division

XML
>>files are stored in xdocs/ and resulting HTML files in docs/. This is
>>described in README.txt in harmony/standard/site/.
>>
>>So far, external materials on classlib packages were placed in HTML in
>>docs/externals directory as a read-only copy from repository.
>>Now, as I understood Geir, the number of useful materials that are
>>relatively stable grows (5 classlib docs + several drlvm docs) and
>>placing them all in externals/ does not seem reasonable any more. So,
>>Geir has suggested, and Tim Ellison has agreed that we need to
transfer
>>the external HTML files to the XML format and make them part of site
>>this way.
>>
>>The issue is the volume of this task. For a short HTML doc, you can
>>transfer the content fairly easily: change <h> tags to <section> and
>>normally. However, for longer docs with a variety of CSS styles
applied
>>and various content unit used, e.g. notes, definition lists, formatted
>>tables, and so forth. For such formatting-rich documents, the HTML >
>XML
>>transfer does not appear so linear. As I understand, this will take a
>>significant amount of manual editing. Or am I missing something?
>>Your suggestions on format transformations are most welcome :)
>>

>>Best regards,
>>Nadya Morozova,

AWT,
>>>JAVA2D) to the same directory with conversion involved?
>>>
>>>I'd also recommend that we do the same for stable VM docs, like
>>DevGuide
>>>and Getting Started.
>>>
>>>Now, the idea of integrating the docs into the site is just fine with
>>>me.
>>>
>>>However, the docs are very HTML-driven now, so you can't just
>cut&paste
>>>the HTML content with a couple of manual replacements and have a
valid
>>>XML. There're over 15 styles that cannot map to standard XML tags.
>>We'll
>>
>>What are standard XML tags? Or do you mean XHTML?
>>Or am I just missing anything?
>>

>>Thank you in advance,
>>Alexey.
>>
>>>have to think of some content model and a DTD for those, probably.
And
>>>still this will mean a lot of work.
>>>So I was wondering whether it is worth the effort? What will the
major
>>>benefits of conversion be? Couldn't we just have the docs statically
>in
>>>HTML? At least for now?
>>>
>>>Best regards,
>>>Nadya Morozova,