Alexey Varlamov wrote:
2006/8/7, Mikhail Loenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
2006/8/7, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
> > Does it mean that we are revisiting our agreement on "more helpful error
> > messages"? [1,2]
>
> They are orthogonal.  I think that Mark was right on that our message
> all over should be helpful, but then when we are throwing exceptions out
> of standard classes, we need to take some care.

sorry, I did not catch. Most of the exceptions even originating in
some internal
classes are finally go to a user app over some standard class.

> > Should we now roll back for example Harmony-250?
>
> I don't think so - did it actually undo RI-like exception messages, or
> just improve some?

In some cases RI throws someting like "invalid arguments" instead of
throwing e.g. "invalid A" when arg A is invalid and "invalid B" when arg B
is invalid.

So before the fix we like RI threw one message and now we throw different
messages:
- if ((key == null) || (key.length == 0) || (algorithm == null)) {
-            throw BADPARAMS_EXC;
-        }
+        if (algorithm == null) throw ALG_NULL_EXC;
+        if (key == null) throw KEY_NULL_EXC;
+        if (key.length == 0) throw KEY_TOO_SHORT_EXC;

Gentlemen,

For the cited patch, I consider Harmony behavior much more user
friendly and would happily vote for retaining such fixes. I'd hardly
imagine sane application depending on that message, while everyday
users would benefit from detailed messages. Let's listen to voice of
common sense occasionally ;)
Just my 0.02$

Yes. We're allowed to output the same exception messages. But if you we think the messages of RI are not helpful or we could give more helpful messages to users, we could output different messages. Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Richard.
--
Alexey