Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> Hi,
>  We have commented out all the stack trace handling code etc. in the NT
> exception handing code in drlvm to get the same binary image to run on an
> old OS like W2K. I am sorry, but I disagree with this approach.

Why?  We wanted to make it so a user could try it out.  We discussed the
approach, and it was a quick fix. What's the problem?

> We cannot
> compile sources meant for XP/W2003 and expect the binaries to run on lower
> Windows OS's. Now we are hitting problems with the vectored exception
> handlers which also don't exist on W2K. We cannot comment these out also!

No, but we can re-engineer what we're doing.

>  As Alexey has pointed out, we need to guard the code with the right
> _WIN32_WINT guards. The define is 0x501 on XP and 0x502 on W2003. Unless
> someone has objects, I am going to turn all this code back on with the
> right
> _WINT filters.

Defines don't solve the problem because they are compile-time, not runtime.

> VEH is a feature in the new Windows code base ( the kernel,
> debug etc. are common to both OS's and quite different from W2K ). If we
> want to support W2K, we will need to rewrite the relevant excpetion
> handling
> portions and do a build for W2K seperately.

Why?  Would the solution for W2k not run on WinXP?

> The DRLVM code has not been
> tested on W2K. There could be more problems. Worse, the code will resolve
> the symbols, but behave differently.

Right, and the point of making things work for the W2k user is to let
that person help test.

>  A part of the problem is that we haven't defined the minimum machine model
> where we want our code to be supported. I would propose that for
> x86-W32, we
> define it as Intel Pentium IV and WinXP and Windows Server 2003.

And why not 2k?