Rana Dasgupta wrote:
> Geir,
>  Certainly we can support w2k if we choose to. But I think that the right
> way to do this is to implement, build and test for W2K, not by disabling
> code that will not run on it by trying to support a single binary image
> across OS's. The DRLVM code has not been tested on w2k.

I don't grok why you've said this twice now - why don't we just test it?

I don't mind telling people what it's been tested on, and also tell them
that for other platforms, they are on their own.

> It may not be a
> good
> idea to try to achieve this by commenting out the code piece by piece as we
> hit bugs.

That's not a fair description of what happened.  First it wasn't a bug,
and it was a conscious decision to eliminate a dependency and usage of
it's API in order to help a user try a snapshot on Win2K.

> Are we choosing build on and support W2K as a platform of choice
> for Harmony? If we don't want to do this and just want to somehow enable
> one
> user, we should at least consider branching this code.

We could also consider why we use these special winXP features, and if
we'd achieve the same functionality with another technical approach,
while broadening our possible user base.

Remember, one of our goals here is broad adoption across platforms...

>  I did not understand your comment about compile time/run time.
> _WIN32_WINNT is the standard way to distinguish between Windows platforms
> and is used everywhere to check platform capability.

At compile time, right?

If we want a binary that is for both win2k and winXP, and there is some
requirement to use a winXP API, you can't use a #define to do this - you
need to check at runtime.

> Are you proposing that
> we should make dynamic runtime os version checks? I am not sure what is the
> benefit of that.

The point is to avoid having to ship a separate binary for every flavor
and service pack of windows that we choose to support. If we can
engineer one binary that runs on all, we're better off.

It might be better if we stepped back and looked at why using the winXP
API is necessary, and explore alternatives.

>  Regarding your question about whether if it runs on w2k it will also run
> on xp, I am not sure. Usually windows oS's are binary backward compatible
> till ~ W2K, meaning that a W2K binary should somehow run on forward OS's.
> But that is designed only for legacy support and cannot be used for
> performance etc.

The last statement is interesting - what is the performance cost in not
using the winXP API but rather using something else that is backwards
compat to Win2k?

geir