Dalibor Topic wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 13, 2006 at 06:46:26PM -0400, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:

>> Because I want a user population the size of Sun's or IBM's, not GNU
>> Classpath's.
>
> If you've got credible numbers, I'd appreciate seeing them. The numbers
> I've got show that more people are using GNU Classpath through Kaffe &
> gcj than Sun's or IBM's VM on Debian by a large margin (~ 100%).

I don't have numbers, but Sun, BEA, IBM  have millions of users that
depend on those codebases for the life of their business.

I've never heard of anyone using kaffe+classpath for the life of their
business.

Now, that's not intended to disparage Kaffe or Classpath, as I realize
that like Harmony, they aren't done,  but I was simply responding to the
comparison of the approach to this issue that Sun, IBM and BEA take vs
Kaffe/GNUCLasspath.

While the point was simply that there may be things to learn from the
successful commercial vendors on this, I realize now that it would have
been prudent to just keep my mouth shut :)

> See
> http://people.debian.org/~igloo/popcon-graphs/index.php?packages=sun-java5-jre%2Ckaffe%2Cjava-gcj-compat&show_installed=on&show_vote=on&want_percent=on&want_legend=on&beenhere=1

What exactly are we looking at here?