On 8/16/06, Anton Luht wrote:

Cool idea - rethrow exceptions from exec'ed java :) You exec jvm that
dies because some exception (say, NPE) not catched, support_exec
analyzes output, understands that NPE was thrown and rethrows it :)
People who will look at those tests will certainly go mad.

You misunderstoond the idea for using support_exec - no exceptions
re-throwing should be made. A test will verify only that VM fails in
expected way (i.e. with expected error message).

Do you have a better idea how to test that?

Thanks,
Stepan.

On 8/16/06, Jimmy, Jing Lv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Paulex Yang wrote:
> > Jimmy, Jing Lv wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >>     I'm trying to write some unit tests of instrument. As discussed,
> >> I'm using exec.
> >>     Currently I've tried Support_Exec and find it fairly easy to
> >> use(Thanks Stepan :) ).
> >>
> >>     For resources (jar files and utility classes), I make a new
> >> directory:

$Harmony/modules/instrument/src/test/resource/org/apache/harmony/tests/instrument
> >> and put them there.
> >>
> >>     And I meet a problem here. Currently the default classpath in
> >> running test is "$Harmony/modules/instrument/bin", so it meets
problem
> >> in loading those utility classes (it can load jar files though).
> >>     I remember Mark has plan to change the classpath in running
> >> testcase, it'll be great if he make some progress.
> >>
> >>     An another problem is checking, currently the result is checked
by
> >> searching and compare in string(e.g, find "someException" in result).
> >> But the framework seems fails if any exception is thrown out. Can it
> >> make a little change that it passes and returns the error message in
> >> exec?
> > Didn't catch up here, did you mean that you need to check the
exception
> > message as well as exception type?
>
> Not necessary to check messages. However we can not catch those
> exceptions so we have to analysis output. For an example:
>
> run "java -javaagent:test.jar myclass"
>
> so get output:
> Exception in thread "main" java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
>         at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
>         at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown
Source)
>         at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
>         at
> sun.instrument.InstrumentationImpl.loadClassAndCallPremain(Unknown So
> urce)
> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalAccessError
>
> In this case we can search for "InvocationTargetException" in the output
> to ensure the expected exception. Sometimes we may also check "cause by"
> exceptions.
>
> This approach seems not perfect. Any comments/suggestions? Thanks!
>
> <snip>
> --
>
> Best Regards!
>
> Jimmy, Jing Lv