Wes Felter wrote:
> Chris Gray wrote:
>
>> TCKs are special in that a particular version of the code is
>> normative, so modified versions need to be clearly marked as such
>> (Apache licence?).
>
> If One TCK is so important, let me propose a semi-heretical idea: don't
> open it. Certainly the 400 JVM developers should be able to run the TCK,
> but it's not clear that they need to distribute modified versions. (Of
> course, they could still submit bug fixes and such to the TCK
> maintainers.) I don't think the Linux distros need to distribute the TCK
> either, so their "OSI or die" policy doesn't appear to affect the TCK.

No one needs to redistribute the TCK, but I can't see any problem in it
happening.  Any derivative work isn't the TCK anyway, so there's no risk
 to the ecosystem there.

But having it in open source is a good thing - it means that more people
can have access to it.  I can see no reason to keep it closed.