Leo Li wrote:
Hi,
On 8/21/06, Geir Magnusson Jr <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Oliver Deakin wrote:
> Leo Li wrote:
>> Hi, Oli:
>> It is really a problem that System.getenv fails to behave as RI on
>> windows. I will fix it by get env string out by os function such
>> as getenvironmentvariable and getenv. Thank you for your tips.
>
> Thanks for looking at fixing this Leo :)
>
>>   Besides, the returned environment variables is only defined  in
>> the process of the java application, for example, the command windows,
>> and
>> remains the same during the life cycle. :)
>
> It's not possible that the environment variables could change during the
> lifetime
> of the VM? If, for example, a Java program made a call out to native
> code, isn't it
> quite possible that that native code to alter the environment variables,
> and thus
> when we return to Java the environment of the process has changed?

   I have tested on linux that a native code to setenv, but RI still gets
the original value if use System.getenv. While on windows, I fails to find
the "setenvironmentstring". So Harmony  behaves just like RI.

ok, I just tested myself on Windows and it seems that the RI ignores
environment variable changes, so I guess it's fine if we stick with what
we have in Harmony.

Regards,
Oliver

Would you really ever want that?  Seems to be a safety issue.

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited