Richard Liang wrote:
Hello All,

Now let's talk about the TestNG groups. I have read the related threads which posted by George, Vladimir Ivanov and Alexei Zakharov. All of them are good discussion about TestNG groups.

IMHO, we may define Harmony test groups according the following 4 dimensions:

1) [Platform] os.any, os.<platform id>
*os.any* - group of tests which pass on any platform. IMHO, most of our tests should be in this group. *os.<platform id>* - group of tests which are designed for one specific platform. A test may be in more than one of the groups. e.g., @Test(groups={"os.win.IA32", "os.linux.IA32"})

** os.any and os.<platform id> are mutually exclusive, that is, tests in os.any group should not be in os.win.IA32.

2) [Test state] state.broken, state.broken.<platform id>
*state.broken* - group of tests which fail on every platform, because of bugs of tests or implementation. We need to fix the bugs of tests or implementation to make them pass. *state.broken.<platform id>* - groups of test which only fail on one specific platform. A test may be in more than one of the groups. e.g., @Test(groups={"state.broken.linux.IA32", "os.broken.linux.IA64"})

**state.broken.<platform id> group may be used as a convenient way to indicate that a test is platform-specific. e.g., If we support 10 platforms, and one test are designed for 9 platforms except for MacOS, instead of list 9 os.<platform id>, we can just use state.broken.MacOS

3) [Test type] type.api, type.impl
*type.api* - group of tests which are tests for APIs in the Java Specification *type.impl* - groups of tests which are tests for Harmony-specific implementation

    ** type.api and type.impl are also mutually exclusive.

4) [Test Level] level.unit, level.integration, level.system, level.stress, etc. (Levels of Test refer to the increase in complexity as moving through test cycle. )
   ** A test may be in more than one of the groups.
** In fact, some tests such as System tests are the verification of the entire system. Maybe we'll put them into a separate project. e.g., harmony/enhanced/SVT (System Verification Test).

If we want to run all the unit test for APIs on windows, we may use TestNG groups to select the tests:
       <groups>
           <run>
               <include name="os.any" />
               <include name="type.api" />
               <include name="os.win.IA32" />
               <exclude name="state.broken" />
               <exclude name="state.broken.win.IA32" />
           </run>
       </groups>

Hello All,

I'm sorry. It seems that the example does not work. I will try to figure another example soon. ;-)

Best regards,
Richard

Well, I think our most of existing tests are in the groups of {"os.any", "type.api", "level.unit"}, and I have asked TestNG to add a new option "-groups" for its JUnitConverter which allow us to specify the test groups when migrate from JUnit test to TestNG test.

Thanks for reading so far, and I will highly appreciate your comments or suggestion. ;-)

--
Richard Liang
China Software Development Lab, IBM