On 8/30/06, Andrew Zhang  wrote:

<SNIP>
> > > If I understoond correctly, new FileHandler() creates temporary file
> for
> > > logging (its name is defined by default configuration properties).
> That
> > is
> > > true for Harmony and RI. Right?
> >

> > Stepan, you missed something here. :)
> > Both Harmony and RI creates a file (not temporary) for logging, and RI
> > created one more file(temporary) for locking.
> > RI tries to delete the temporary .lck file when fileHandler.close() is
> > invoked. Harmony has nothing to be deleted. :)
>

> IOW, Harmony uses different locking approach for log-files and the test
> above demonstrate side-effect of different approaches. Right?

Yes, exatcly.

IMO, we should add a note to the documentation: why we chose different
> locking approach.

Rather than adding a note to source code, I think it's more helpful to
document the difference on the test.

Yes, documenting our implementation design is helpful, but I think there's
no need to document the design differences between Harmony and RI.

We don't care the design and implementation of RI, do we? So I suggest
document some words on the test case, like "RI fails here because ....".

Comments/objections? Thanks!

BTW, if two VMs tries to open the same file for logging how this conflict is
resolved by Harmony if there is not lock file?

Thanks,
Stepan