On 9/13/06, Alexey Petrenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Guys,

I think that we need to create something like "Good issue resolution
guideline" and post it on Harmony site or wiki. It will help community
to prepare good fixes and will help committers to spend less time on
applying other's patches.

As a start we can take Nathan's post with additions from Paulex. I'll
add few points from me...

Excellent ;-)  Only a few comments.

Issue reporter:
1. Reporter should try to create as small test case as possible. Patch
to test will be highly appreciated.
2. Do not forget to use issue links if applicable.

0. Explicitly address: what is the expected behavior, and what's the
actual behavior of Harmony?

Resolution provider :) :
1. Issue is probably a non-bug difference, not a bug or invalid:
    1.1. Discuss on dev-list.
    1.2. Add a link to the discussion thread as a comment to issue.
2. Issue is a bug:
    2.1. If reporter did not provide patch to test:
        2.1.1. If it is possible to create a patch to test then create it.
        2.1.2. If it is not possible then note it in the comment.
    2.2. Create a patch to fix the issue
        2.2.1. Any concerns? Discuss on dev list. Add a link to
discussion as a comment.

We could also suggest some requirements for patch: e.g., avoid using
absolute path, provide a shell if necessary,

3. Do not forget to use issue links if applicable.

Committer
1. Issue is probably a non-bug difference, not a bug or invalid: close
the issue.
2. Issue is a bug:
    2.1. Apply the patch to test if it exists.
    2.2. Check that test fails.
    2.3. Apply the fix for the issue
    2.4. Check that test does not fail any more

And make sure all tests pass ;-)

    2.5. If there is a problem on previous steps post a comment to
JIRA and let "resolution provider" to resolve.

Thoughts? Comments? Additions?

SY, Alexey

--
Alexey A. Petrenko