Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
On 9/14/06, Jimmy, Jing Lv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Interesting topic, I'm still dreaming of "free()" in Java (This dream
begins at the very beginning when I see Java, as C/C++ is my first
program language )However, it seems RI will never give us "free()". :)

Only a thought, Java may offer a key word "temp", indicating that this
variety can be freed at once.

Well, it is not so easy to support "free()" in JVM as it looks like,
and may not really bring benefit. Even worse, it may introduce unsafe
code, which was one of the major design goals of Java/JVM. That said,
I agree that some hints by programmer to assist GC might be an
interesting topic.

There are always weak references to help out with short lived objects -
you know they will be collected fairly soon (should be within a few
gc cycles) - and soft references for longer lived ones. That's
about as close to free() as youll get for now!

Regards,
Oliver

Thanks,
xiaofeng