I noticed in the file trunk/vm/vmcore/src/util/vm_strings.cpp there is some code to support the storage of strings in arrays of (8b) bytes rather than arrays of (16b) unsigned shorts. In the debugger, I placed breakpoints in this code, and it was never active in my run.

Can someone tell me the current status of this code and, if it is active, how I can turn it on? (From inspecting the source, it looked inactive via hardcoding "false" on whether to compress the strings). I might be interested in working on this code.

                        - Craig