Nathan Beyer wrote:
> Another assertion that the constructor does call "put" in Harmony and
> doesn't in the RI is only convincing of the fact that the implementation of
> the RI doesn't use public methods.

Agreed that we don't need to follow RI's stacktrace in most cases, but,
if it shows different behavior to user, it's another story. This case is
about constructor, it is often dangerous to invoke overridable methods
in constructor if not by intention. If subclass override that method and
used some private field, the instance even cannot be inited at all.
> Do you have any actual use case that does this? I don't see the practicality
> of doing this. The HashMap javadoc doesn't guarantee this behavior and the
> examples for extending Map behavior is to wrap a Map, like in
> Collections.unmodifiableMap(Map).

Javadoc doesn't guarantee this, but RI's behavior is logical and more
robust here, as Harmony's classlib compatibility guideline[1].

About composition vs. inheritance issue, I believe most of us have
consensus on which is better on when, but we cannot assume all our users
think in same way with us, if they failed to inherited HashMap for some
reasons, they just say: "Harmony is not so robust than Sun's JDK". About
actual use case, I have no real application now, but I can image many
possible reason to inherit HashMap in seconds, for example, some may not
happy to use an Entry array as backend, or they may want to record
something when put/get, or they may want to improve the performance of
putAll(), there may be better alternatives except inheritance, but it
should be the user's decision, not us. And I have a unrelated real case
on how to use HashMap, from a widely used OSS project, it reuse one
instance as key of HashMap by modifying hashCode()'s return value, it's
definitely bad, it works on RI but failed on Harmony, it took me several
hours to find the cause, but I'm lucky, how would a user do if his
commercial application fails on Harmony because of this? In this real
case, I even think Harmony has more reasonable behavior than RI, but I
learned the lesson again - never assume how user would use library.

After all, if we can make our codes more robust with almost no cost, why
not?

[1]
http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/subcomponents/classlibrary/compat.html
> -Nathan