Artem Aliev wrote:
> Gier,
>
> The hythread is just most visible example. There are also signal
> handling problem. classlib hysig lib setup signal handlers and then
> drlvm overrides them by its owns. There are code duplication in
> classlib hyprt.dll drlvm port.lib:
> classlib/trunk/modules/luni/src/main/native/port vm/port/src
>
> These three pair of components contains significant part of the
> system dependent code for both VM and CLASSLIB. I think, all this
> code naturally defines portlib component that could be shared between
> classlib and VMs. So, as a first step, we could move all this code in
> to the one place, name portlib to have three directories classlib,
> drlvm, portlib.

I think it is quite reasonable to call out the portlib and threadlib
separate (in the repository) to the VM and classlib.  As you point out,
then VM and classlib can share the code -- though it will not become a
requirement for VMs that run the harmony code to be using those
libraries for their own implementation.

> As the second step, the pairs of libraries should be merged and the
> classlib and drlvm refactoried to have only 3 lib instead of 6.

Yep, this would be part of the consolidation into new Harmony top-level
components.  It makes sense that we share the same impl in the project.

> The 3rd step is to replace most of the functions with APR ones and
> move the rest of the code to the APR.

I think it is quite well documented on this list that this should not be
a goal.

> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks
> Artem
>

> On 9/19/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> we need to put this issue to bed, as we're tripping over it, it seems.
>>
>> Any thoughts on how to move forward on this?
>>
>> geir

Tim Ellison ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
IBM Java technology centre, UK.