On 9/19/06, Xiao-Feng Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi, a new attachment is submitted to GCv5 as an update to JIRA 1428.
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-1428), which is a
> mark-compaction GC. This GC is going to be connected with last
> submission (the trace-forwarding GC) into a generational GC.
>
> The code is in my opinion very easy to understand, so it's encouraged
> for everybody who is interested in GC development to download and have
> a play. Comments are welcome!
>
> Thanks,
> xiaofeng

Very nice and fast Xiao Feng :-) I read through your first submission and
had a couple of thoughts on how this could progress. Is it that to hook up
the two seperately managed spaces, some of the policies ( eg., promote
everything and have an upper limit on pause time  ) need become implicit?
Or can we build in some structures for policy support later, eg., if we want
to set aside a seperate creation space, and provide some concept of age
...maybe confine the copying implementation to a smaller aging space....

I know that we made some assumptions upfront but I am not sure how well two
generations will work for the real apps( not Spec ) eg., where pause is
critical. We may want to keep policies orthogonal to this so that we are
flexible.

Thanks,
Rana