On 9/27/06, Xiao-Feng Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thanks to Egor and Gregory's responses to the JET write barrier patch.
Those help. I was away from JIT development for a while. :-)

Since the patch is small, if needed, please feel free to modify it as
a JIRA update, or a committer to merge it then we submit new patch
later. Basically the write barrier should be as small (quick) as
possible and involves no additional VM runtime operations. A view to
write barrier can be that, it is only an extended bytecode of the
orignal reference store one. That means, we can implement it in anyway
appropriate as long as the semantics of the reference store is kept,
either in JIT IR, in LIL,

Please no LiL.  We need to replace LiL code with either Java/vmmagic, jit
intrinsic  or emitter based asm code.  Even JIT IR would be preferable to
LiL.

in asm or as a function call. Performance
and flexibility are the main goals. The performance is easy to
understand, the flexibility refers to that a GC developer probably can
conveniently change the write barrier implementation.

As I know, a volunteer (Mikhail Fursov?) is writing helper inlining
for DRLVM. Hopefully that will be the ultimate solution for write
barrier implementation. Before that is ready, an intermediate solution
would be acceptable.

Thanks,
xiaofeng