On 9/30/06, Andrey Chernyshev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 9/27/06, Evgueni Brevnov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > > I understand your concern (about reformatting)... I feel very-very
> > > uncomfortable when I study purely formatted code. It always hard to
> > > understand some one's code especially if it is hard to read. That was
> > > not my intention to fix indenting I just can't study such code and
> > > reformat it on the fly.... Sorry, I don't know how to switch my patch
> > > to the original formatting.

> > > Its definitely much less than the half of the patch.

> > > which >essential changes & enhancements?
> > >
> > > I think a lot of people are interested in answer to this question. Do
> > > you? Let me get a break and I will come up with details....
> >
> > Right, it seems like invocation API patch does extensive changes to
> > the TM design and interfaces. Hopefully you can provide us with a
> > summary why it was done
> > so.
>
> Sure!
>
> > In the meantime, there are a few things I'd like to understand
> > first (I didn't
> > look through the whole patch yet though):
> >
> > (1)
> > Why did you have to add JavaVM to jthread_create and jthread_attach
> > functions? I couldn't see the use for JavaVM in the TM code, except putting
it
> > into TLS which can always be done outside of TM if one wishes to do so.
> > Ideally, we would have TM to know as much less about the rest of VM as
>possible.
>
> Mainly because I'm looking forward to have multi VM in a process
> address space. So I tried to do everything having this in mind. Take
> jthread_attach function. Originally it had JNIEnv * as its first
> argument. According to JNI spec JNIEnv * pointer is valid in the
> environment. So it can be a parameter to jthread_attach function. To
> be honest I go iniline with original design here.... VM calls
> jthread_attach to attach thread....jthread_attach calls vm_attach
> (vm_jthread_attach now). We may think about changing that to the
> following. VM attaches thread to it self by means of vm_jthread_attach
> and then passes created JNIEnv * pointer to jthread_attach. What do
> you think?

I would expect TM be responsible for launching  threads, and VM be
responsible for creating JNIEnv for each new thread. VM may have a
method like "create_JNIEnv()" which TM might be using while building a
new Java thread (or attaching the existing native one). We can extend
the existing vm_attach() function for that purpose for now, such that
it would be returning new JNIenv's.

I did exactly like you suggest here :-) Please look at vm_jthread_atach.

> > (2)
> > What is the purpose of adding hythread_lib_create and
> > hythread_lib_destroy functions? I guess we already have
> > hythread_init/hythread_shutdown for the similar purpose...
> Multi VM again. Each VM should have its own instance of the library.

Looking into the patch, it really seems like you just added a
convenience method which does an allocation of the hythread_lib_t
structure with help of APR. How does that help to solve the multiVM
issue? hythread_lib was a variable in vm_main in the past, but what
prevents you from just making  it a part of the appropriate JavaVM
struct?
Yes, I did it. If you look at Global_Env structure you will find it
have a pointer to portlib.

> > (3)
> > One more lock is added - hythread_lib_lock. How is that differ from
> > the hythread_global_lock that we already have? Each extra lock to the
> > system may add more possibilities for deadlocks, as well as can
> > negatively impact the scalability (unless some of the existing locks
> > are split).
> hythread_lib_lock acquires exactly the same lock as
> hythread_global_lock. Probably I miss something but we need to be
> compatible with IBM threading library now. This library has such
> function. That's why I added it. Sounds right?

OK, then why don't suggest just to rename the hythread_global_lock to
the hythread_lib_lock if you feel this is that important?  I guess
this must be more safe if we were introducing one more global lock to
the system.
I agree with you. There is no need to keep both. I just left former
one for not introducing aaditional changes in this patch. Do you
suggest to include that in this patch or do it separatly?

> > (4)
> > Instead of adding "daemon" attribute to hythread_create, I think the
> > better approach would be to move the daemon threads count logic out of
> > the hythread level - this level is assumed to know nothing about
> > daemon threads in Java, the better place to handle that would be
> > jthread level (or even better - Java code).
> > Did you need this change to implement the invocation API impl, or, it
> > was just a side improvement?
>
> When I first looked at that I thought exactly like you. "daemon"
> notion should be applied to java threads only. But I found that you
> have daemon attribute into HyThread structure. Moreover you have
> hythread_wait_for_all_daemon_threads which get me the feeling that any
> hythread can be a daemon. I think for a while whether it is good or
> not to have such notion for native threads.....and decides it can be
> useful sometimes. Current implementation of InvocationAPI uses daemon
> status for java threads only. So lets discuss it...

Right, it isn't good, we should better think how the daemon-related
functionality could be moved to the Java level.
OK

Thanks
Evgueni

Thanks,