Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
As we know the current IBM VM does not support all 'standard' java options.

IBM VM peoples, could you give some expectation when this support will be
available (1 month, 3 or 6 ...)?

Why do we as the Harmony project care?

geir

thanks, Vladimir

The standard options from my point of view are (without deprecated):
tmp>java
Usage: java [-options] class [args...]
          (to execute a class)
  or  java [-options] -jar jarfile [args...]
          (to execute a jar file)

where options include:
   -client       to select the "client" VM
   -server       to select the "server" VM
   -hotspot      is a synonym for the "client" VM  [deprecated]
                 The default VM is client.

   -cp <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
   -classpath <class search path of directories and zip/jar files>
                 A ; separated list of directories, JAR archives,
                 and ZIP archives to search for class files.
   -D<name>=<value>
                 set a system property
   -verbose[:class|gc|jni]
                 enable verbose output
   -version      print product version and exit
   -version:<value>
                 require the specified version to run
   -showversion  print product version and continue
   -jre-restrict-search | -jre-no-restrict-search
                 include/exclude user private JREs in the version search
   -? -help      print this help message
   -X            print help on non-standard options
   -ea[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
   -enableassertions[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
                 enable assertions
   -da[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
   -disableassertions[:<packagename>...|:<classname>]
                 disable assertions
   -esa | -enablesystemassertions
                 enable system assertions
   -dsa | -disablesystemassertions
                 disable system assertions

On 9/4/06, Oliver Deakin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> Andrey Chernyshev wrote:
>
>> 1.  Fix the DRLVM layout - rename vmcore to "harmonyvm" and move
>> ..dll/.so into the "default" subdirectory such that one doesn't have to
>> type -vm and -vmdir options;
>>

> While would you want to rename DRLVM to Harmony VM?
> It feels to me like claiming DRLVM to be "the only" Harmony VM.
> On the contrary, I thought Harmony project is about *encouraging*
diversity.

> I think having library named libdrlvm.so would be much better.

The Harmony launcher looks for harmonyvm.dll as its default vm library.
It's just a generic
name so that the launcher can find the correct library without -vm. The
IBM VME also
contains a harmonyvm.dll, which is why it works without specifying
command line options

Regards,
Oliver

>> 2. Exclude building of the "original" launcher from the DRLVM build -
>> it currently conflicts with the classlib launcher (both are called
>> "java").
>>
>> 3. Aside from the hythread, it may also have a sense to make the
>> classlib and DRLVM using the same zlib dll/so (preferably the system
>> one).

Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited