Nathan Beyer wrote:
> There may be value in doing this, but what's the increase in class file
> overhead? Every new class that gets created for these locks ends up as
> another class file that has to be stored (takes up drive space) and has to
> be loaded (takes up memory in the class loader). Ever additional class file
> takes up at least 1K of space on Windows.
>
> How many of these locks are we talking about?

I haven't counted, but I'd guess 10's rather than 100's based on what I
have found so far.

Each .class files created take up about 360 bytes in the JAR file.  The
size in memory is obviously dependent upon the VM implementation but I
don't expect it to be onerous (in the IBM VME it will, by coincidence,
be very roughly the same number of bytes in memory).