On 10 October 2006 at 8:53, Mark Hindess <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 10 October 2006 at 14:19, "Mikhail Loenko" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Please wait.
>
> Too late.  Back out r454633 if you wish.
>
> I asked people to test this and report back last week.  No one said
> don't do it.  And lots of people said '+1'.
>
> > what are you going to do with linux?
>
> I've talked about this on and off for several months, but ...
>
> Libraries such as libpng, libjpeg, and liblcms are stable and rarely
> change significantly between distributions, so we should use the
> versions provided by OS vendors.
>
> AFAIK, no one seems to have figured out which packages are required on
> any non-debian based distribution.  I asked for this information months
> ago, but I assumed that no one was using other distributions or that
> they simply thought it easier to build it themselves.
>
> I am in the process of creating chroot/vmware/qemu images of recent
> versions of both Red Hat and SuSE in order to derive the correct
> instructions.
>
> The reason I believe that using system versions is the right way to
> go is that I believe we should be using shared libraries for these
> dependencies and not statically linking them.
>
> Of course, some libraries are developing too quickly for distributions
> to keep up so we will end up distributing them - ICU for instance.
>
> Everyone seems happy enough with the solution on Debian-based distros
> and it should be just as trivial to resolve the problem on RedHat and
> SuSE.  It just takes someone with those distributions to figure out
> the appropriate packages/commands.

For instance, I'm reliably informed that:

  yast --install libpng-devel libjpeg-devel liblcms-devel

works on SLES 10 if you have a yast source configured correctly.

The RHEL4 equivalent probably involves up2date.

I think FC5 has yum so that should be a similar "yum install" command.
(I think this means that RHEL5 when it arrives while have yum too.)

Regards,
 Mark.