On 11 October 2006 at 3:14, Gregory Shimansky <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Monday 09 October 2006 19:54 Oliver Deakin wrote:
> > I see that you already said pretty much the same thing I did on another
> > thread [1].
> >
> > IMHO we should make sure that if the fetch-depends target finds it
> > cannot sym
> > link to preinstalled system libraries, then the user is clearly informed
> > so they have
> > the choice to install them without having the archived file versions
> > unpacked. So
> > perhaps the fetch-depends step should still fail with a message saying
> > something like
> > "Could not resolve these dependencies, either build/install these
> > packages manually
> > or you can run this other target to have the archived versions unpacked
> > into your
> > dependency tree". (Hopefully a little clearer than that ;) )
>
> This sounds very much like a configure script.

Indeed, and we may well end up with one of those at some point.

> Check for installed libraries, fail if something is missing. I like it :)

I would like to be more helpful if we can.  Yesterday, I added the
details of the required packages for Fedora Core 5.  Hopefully others
will help get the instructions up dated for distributions they use.
Otherwise, I will try to add instructions for recent SLES and RHEL in
the next week or so.

> On Linux however all libraries are present in distributions (I buy you
> a beer if you name a single Linux distribution which doesn't include
> necessary development packages, knoppix not counted).

I'll get my better half to start making more room in the fridge while I
go through the list of distros at:

  http://lwn.net/Distributions/

I reckon I should get at least a six-pack just out of the embedded
section alone. ;-)

> Only Windows distribution doesn't include them, so for convenience
> windows binaries may be cached for download on harmony site.

In time I expect we'll do the same for others like MacOS X, Aix, etc.

Regards,
 Mark.