Hi Anton:

There are still two problems here:

1. Error message printed out on Harmony in console:
java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: unmatched ) near index: 1
b)a
^
java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: unmatched ) near index: 4
bcde)a
^
java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: unmatched ) near index: 5
bbg())a
^
java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: unmatched ) near index: 7
cdb(?i))a

2. Some test cases in PatternTest simply uses System.out.println() instead of assertion, this way failed test cases
can not be easily find out using JUnit output

Best regards

Anton Ivanov 写道:
I documented the details on both JIRA issues:
So, please mark these issues as non-bug-differences if needed.

Thanks,
Anton

On 10/12/06, Paulex Yang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Anton Ivanov wrote:
> The problem is in the RI. These failures are the RI bugs.
>
> The test failures on the RI you pointed out can be grouped into the two
I guess you meant three ;-)
> categories:
Is category2, the supplemental character issue, included in the
HARMONY-933? How about to document the details like below on that JIRA,
and mark it as non-bug difference?

> 1. Canonical equivalence related.
>
> java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: Unclosed group near index 59
> (?:ǠI|ǠI|ǠI|ȦĪ|ȦĪ|ȦĪ|ǠI|ǠI|Aİ̄(?:Ìc|Ìc|Ic̀)db(ac)
> ^
> at java.util.regex.Pattern.error(Pattern.java:1650)
> at java.util.regex.Pattern.accept(Pattern.java:1508)
> at java.util.regex.Pattern.group0(Pattern.java:2460)
> at java.util.regex.Pattern.sequence(Pattern.java:1715)
> at java.util.regex.Pattern.expr(Pattern.java:1687)
> at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile(Pattern.java:1397)
> at java.util.regex.Pattern.<init>(Pattern.java:1124)
> at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile(Pattern.java:840)
> at
> org.apache.harmony.tests.java.util.regex.PatternTest.testCanonEqFlag(
> PatternTest.java:1060)
>
> The RI fails to compile the following pattern with CANON_EQ flag
> specified:
>       "\u01E0\u00CCcdb(ac)"
> This is due to the RI tries to build alternations to take into account
> canonical equivalence.
> And the RI does so in simple cases. But if pattern is a little more
> complex the RI fails to compile it.
> So the RI builds these alternations wrong.
> You can see the following bug:
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4867170
>
> I wrote about these test failures on the RI here:
>
> 2. Supplementary Unicode codepoints related.
>
> For example let's see at:
>
> testPredefinedClassesWithSurrogatesSupplementary
> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: null
> at junit.framework.Assert.fail(Assert.java:47)
> at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:20)
> at junit.framework.Assert.assertFalse(Assert.java:34)
> at junit.framework.Assert.assertFalse(Assert.java:41)
> at

org.apache.harmony.tests.java.util.regex.PatternTest.testPredefinedClassesWithSurrogatesSupplementary

> (PatternTest.java:1477)
>
> Here we try to find surrogate character in a codepoint \uD916\uDE27.
> It is written here:
> http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr18/#Supplementary_Characters
>
> "Surrogate pairs (or their equivalents in other encoding forms) are be
> handled internally as single code point values"
>
> So we have to treat text as code points not code units.
> Here \uD916\uDE27 is a one code point consisting of
> two code units (two surrogate characters) so we find nothing.
> (I added a comment with this explanation to the
> testPredefinedClassesWithSurrogatesSupplementary()).
> But the RI doesn't treat this codepoint as a single whole, this is the
RI
> [...]
>> > There was the following code in the method matches() of
>> > SupplRangeSet.java:
>> > if (stringIndex < strLength) {
>> > char high = testString.charAt(stringIndex++);
>> >
>> > if (contains(high) &&
>> > next.matches(stringIndex, testString, matchResult) > 0)
>> > {
>> > return 1;
>> > }
>> > But it is wrong simply to return 1, though we can read about method
>> > matches() in AbstractSet.java comments:
>> >
>> > "Checks if this node matches in given position and recursively call
>> > next node matches on positive self match. Returns positive integer if
>> > entire match succeed, negative otherwise
>> > return -1 if match fails or n > 0;"
>> > In fact method matches() returns not only a positive n > 0. The n
>> is an
>> > offset in case of a positive
>> > match attempt. This fact is took into account in all old classes of
>> > java.util.regex, but I forgot this fact in SupplRangeSet.java
>> > So I corrected method matches() of the SupplRangeSet class as
follows:
>> > int offset = -1;
>> > if (stringIndex < strLength) {
>> > char high = testString.charAt(stringIndex++);
>> >
>> > if (contains(high) &&
>> > (offset = next.matches(stringIndex, testString,
>> > matchResult)) > 0) {
>> > return offset;
>> > }
>> > I corrected the patch and attached it to the issue.
>> > I verified that regex and luni tests pass normally with the patch
>> > applied.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Anton
>> >
>> Hi Anton:
>> It must be very excited to handle such a complex problem. :-)
>>
>> But after applying the new patch (and test patch applied), I still got
>> problems:
>> Of test class: org.apache.harmony.tests.java.util.regex.PatternTest, 4
>> test methods fail on RI:
>> testCanonEqFlag:
>> java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: Unclosed group near index 59
>> (?:ǠI|ǠI|ǠI|ȦĪ|ȦĪ|ȦĪ|ǠI|ǠI|Aİ̄(?:Ìc|Ìc|Ic̀)db(ac)
>> ^
>> at java.util.regex.Pattern.error(Pattern.java:1650)
>> at java.util.regex.Pattern.accept(Pattern.java:1508)
>> at java.util.regex.Pattern.group0(Pattern.java:2460)
>> at java.util.regex.Pattern.sequence(Pattern.java:1715)
>> at java.util.regex.Pattern.expr(Pattern.java:1687)
>> at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile(Pattern.java:1397)
>> at java.util.regex.Pattern.<init>(Pattern.java:1124)
>> at java.util.regex.Pattern.compile(Pattern.java:840)
>> at
>> org.apache.harmony.tests.java.util.regex.PatternTest.testCanonEqFlag(
>> PatternTest.java:1060)
>>
>> testIndexesCanonicalEq:
>> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: null
>> at junit.framework.Assert.fail(Assert.java:47)
>> at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:20)
>> at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:27)

org.apache.harmony.tests.java.util.regex.PatternTest.testIndexesCanonicalEq

>> (PatternTest.java:1247)
>>
>> testCanonEqFlagWithSupplementaryCharacters:
>> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: null
>> at junit.framework.Assert.fail(Assert.java:47)
>> at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:20)
>> at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:27)
>> at

org.apache.harmony.tests.java.util.regex.PatternTest.testCanonEqFlagWithSupplementaryCharacters

>> (PatternTest.java:1275)
>>
>> testPredefinedClassesWithSurrogatesSupplementary
>> junit.framework.AssertionFailedError: null
>> at junit.framework.Assert.fail(Assert.java:47)
>> at junit.framework.Assert.assertTrue(Assert.java:20)
>> at junit.framework.Assert.assertFalse(Assert.java:34)
>> at junit.framework.Assert.assertFalse(Assert.java:41)
>> at

org.apache.harmony.tests.java.util.regex.PatternTest.testPredefinedClassesWithSurrogatesSupplementary

>> (PatternTest.java:1477)
>> If they are the bugs of RI, shall we add comments for them in the test
>> case?
>>
>> and Error message printed out on console on Harmony. Since there are
>> test cases use System.out instead of assert, I could not locate where
>> these error message comes from:
>> java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: unmatched ) near index: 1
>> b)a
>> ^
>> java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: unmatched ) near index: 4
>> bcde)a
>> ^
>> java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: unmatched ) near index: 5
>> bbg())a
>> ^
>> java.util.regex.PatternSyntaxException: unmatched ) near index: 7
>> cdb(?i))a
>> ^
>> And last, the good news is luni tests do pass. :-)
>>
>> Best regards
>>
>> --
>> Spark Shen
>> China Software Development Lab, IBM