On 10/13/06, Mikhail Fursov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 10/13/06, Rana Dasgupta <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I don't think that the jit  needs to know that an object being finalizable
> implies not to invoke the fastpath. This to me suggests that the jit
> determines allocation policy. I don't see a problem passing the object
> typeinfo or allocation handle to the helper. It is needed for object init
> anyway.

Doing isFinalizable check during a compile time instead of runtime looks
like a reasonable optimization to me.Moreover, once you want to do it in
runtime, you have to add special magic isFinalizable(type). So we can add
such an option (configurable from the command-line or property file) to the
JIT.

+1
Non-finalizible objects are the major part of all allocated objects.
Allocation path for the objects can be much more efficient if we could
check whether object is not finalizible at compile time. It can be one
compare operation instead of 2 compare operations (with fewer
dependent memory reads)  in common allocation path.

--
Ivan