On 10/17/06, Tony Wu <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Thank you Andrew,
I think I got the point. The j.l.String of RI uses the encoding of IO
whereas Charset.forName use another of NIO.

exactly!

And the new problem is shall we follow the spec[1] to support the two
suites of charset implemetation? I just have a look and find we does
not support some Canonical Name for java.io and java.lang API such as
UnicodeBigUnmarked,UnicodeLittleUnmarked,UnicodeBig,Unicodelittle,etc.

I think we have no choice because spec has explictly pointed out the basic
charset name for java.io,java.lang and nio, which includes "UnicodeBig". So
the problem left is how, not whether. :-)

Mapping may solve this problem. We may map:
1. io/lang -> nio
2. nio -> io/lang
3. io/lang/nio -> icu

BTW, does current nio.charset implementation support "UnicodeBig"? There're
a little differences between "UnicodeBig" and "UTF-16 BE":
UnicodeBig: Sixteen-bit Unicode Transformation Format, big-endian byte
order, with byte-order mark
UTF-16 BE: Sixteen-bit Unicode Transformation Format, big-endian byte order

[1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html

On 10/17/06, Andrew Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 10/17/06, Andrew Zhang <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> > On 10/17/06, Leo Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >
> > > I think Harmony is more reasonable.
> > >
> > > As spec says, if  Charset.forName("UnicodeBig") throws
> > > .UnsupportedCharsetException then no support for the named charset
is
> > > available in this instance of the Java virtual machine. Then how can
we
> > > get
> > > new String(b, "UnicodeBig") without throwing
UnsupportedCharsetException
> > > on
> > > the same jvm? The spec for String(byte[] bytes,String charsetName)
also
> > > says
> > > if the named charset is not supported, UnsupportedCharsetException
> > > should be
> > > thrown out.
> >

> > UNICODEBIG is a java alias for UTF-16BE. I think we'd better support
such
> > mapping in String and follow RI.
> >

> You can find the encoding set from spec. [1]
>
> [1] http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/guide/intl/encoding.doc.html

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

--