Xiao-Feng,
Even if you do not need to have constant offsets, it's better to use TM
directly to allocate TLS slots.
In this case we can remove extra code from VM: the computation of the third
parameter in the next method:

extern Managed_Object_Handle (*gc_alloc_fast)(unsigned size,
Allocation_Handle type, void *thread_pointer);

On 10/25/06, Mikhail Fursov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 10/25/06, Xiao-Feng Li <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Why do we need multiple slots? Can't we use just one slot, which
> stores a pointer to a user data structure (the GC_Thread_Info in this
> case)?

Yes you can store a pointer. But in this case you can't tell that you have
constant offset from fs[14] to your data for all threads. So you can't
inline your helper in JIT.

--
Mikhail Fursov

--