Hi Yuri,
    Since you invited questions, here are a few from me...

What is the basic profiling mechanism...instrumentation or sampling?
What are the different types of profiles we are capturing ?
How are the profiles currently being persisted?

Is there any existing documentation on this?

Have you given some thought to the training set of applications you will
use?

Thanks,
Rana

On 10/30/06, Yuri Kashnikoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

2006/10/30, Mikhail Fursov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Hi Yuri.
> Value profile is a profile that is really needed for set of JIT
> optimizations.
> What do you want to improve in JIT exactly?
First of all I want to imporove the devirtualization, using value
profiling feedback. And now I found that some other optimization could
use value profling, if it is interesting I can put some ideas here for
considering.

For Geir and other non-Jit-nerds (I'am not JIT-nerd alredy but I'am
trying to become one of them), I'll try to explain what the value
profiling is and how it could be used for increasing JIT performance.

Devirtualization of virtual calls.
We have some virtual calls. And we know that in some program
realisation of some method A used more often (for examle 1000 times)
and antoher realisation of this method B used only 10-20 times. So
this information could be usefull for recompiling the Hot Method A.
And Value Profiler brings this information to JIT.