Salikh,
I read the wiki page.  Good summary.  Regarding writes to the mark bit in
vtable.  I think there was also conversation on cache line invalidate
traffic causing a problem on SMP.  That is, the mark bit of a popular class
(like maybe String?) bouncing between caches.  I recall someone suggesting a
thread-specific data struct to hold the mark bits.

On 11/10/06, Salikh Zakirov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Aleksey Ignatenko wrote:
> Actually there is one additional 4-th approach:
>
> *Mark and scan based approach *wich I described in the first letter.
Java
> heap trace is performed by VM Core and GC is not affected at all.
>
> So the list is:
> 1. vtable objects( Aleksey )
> 2. per heap space/generation boolean marker on the classloader instance(
> Etienne )
> 3. class reachability marker byte in vtable (Robin )
> 4. Mark and scan based approach.
>
> I agree that we need to structure all appraches somehow, like
description
> for every approach in wiki.

I've started a wiki page http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/ClassUnloading
to summarize all discussed approaches. I hope we will eventually come
up with the detailed end-to-end design description.

I'm going now to fill in all ideas that I can pick up from the discussion,
but I encourage all interested parties to review and correct if I get
something incorrectly.

--
Weldon Washburn