On Friday 10 November 2006 17:45 Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While investigating deadlock scenario which is described in
> HARMONY-2006 I found out one interesting thing. It turned out that DRL
> implementation of hythread_monitor_init /
> hythread_monitor_init_with_name initializes and acquires a monitor.
> Original spec reads: "Acquire and initialize a new monitor from the
> threading library...." AFAIU that doesn't mean to lock the monitor but
> get it from the threading library. So the hythread_monitor_init should
> not lock the monitor.
>
> Could somebody comment on that?

It might be that semantic is different on different platforms which is
probably even worse. Your patch in HARMONY-2149 breaks nearly all of
acceptance tests on Linux while everything on Windows works (ok I tested on
laptop with 1 processor while Linux was a HT server, sometimes it is
important for threading).

I think we need more investigation on whether or not the monitor has to be
locked in init.