From: Nathan Beyer [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, November 11, 2006 7:48 AM
To: harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: [classlib][swing] Serialization of Swing classes

If there's no need for serialization compatability between VMs and
versions of a VM, then is there any harm in adding explicit
serialVersionUID fields?

On 11/10/06, Ivanov, Alexey A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Nathan, all,
>
> You shouldn't add explicit serialVersionUID because Sun explicitly
states that serialized form of Swing classes maybe incompatible with
future Swing releases. And there's no description of serialized form for
any Swing class.

> I'm pretty sure Harmony is not compatible with Sun classes with regard
to serialized from of Swing classes. And new fields can be added to a
class or removed, which will break the serialized form.

http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/javax/swing/JTree.html

> The serialVersionUID declarations were intentionally missed.
>
> Regards,
> Alexey.
>

> P.S. Thanks for cleaning up the code to use parameterized types where
possible.
> I've looked through j.s.BasicSwingTestCase and restricted the type
parameter, as well as refactored the code accessing Swing components so
that it always runs on the Event Dispatch Thread. See
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-2078.