On 11/13/06, Alexey Petrenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Guys,

is there any progress in making possible for IBM and DRL VM to use the
same hythr library?

I imagine they would have to share some more VM internals first, like
GC or object layout interface, before they can migrate to a common
threading library :)

It is really a pain now to run class library tests on DRLVM now. And
nearly impossible to easy switch VMs by launcher command line
parameters. Since class library builds IBM version of hythr library
and rewrites it in jre/bin directory. So you need to copy this library

What if just disable copying of the hythr.dll into the
deploy/jre/jdk/bin directory,
may be harmony-vme could be providing the one?

from DRL VM after each build. (Yes, I know how to write scripts :)

If it is not possible for both VMs to use the same library probably we
need to move these libraries to VM directories...

+1.
Seems like we don't have any VM at the moment which would be really
using the hythr from classlib. Even IBM VME doesn't use the hythr. As
Tim wrote earlier, VME is using it's own threading library called
j9thr23 [1]. Does it differ a much from the hythr?

Guess it might be favourable for the classlib + IBM VME stack as well
if it was using a single thread library. Would it be possible for VME
to include a straightforward hythr implementation which can delegate
hythread_* calls to the j9thr23?

Thanks,
Andrey.

[1]