Gregory Shimansky wrote:
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

Gregory Shimansky wrote:

-Xss is the lower stack limit, it doesn't specify the maximum stack size, doesn't it?

What does "lower stack limit" mean? :) I think that it's the size of the stack, max.

I thought it is a starting stack size, like -Xms for heap size. Now that I searched the web it appears that it is the maximum indeed.

"0" is minimum stack size.

I think all you need to do then is set the stack size :

   ulimit -s 8192

or something. We should probably do this before each run on linux so that things are well defined and reproducible.

I think 64-bit SuSE9 is just the only weird distribution which doesn't have this limit. In 10th version they fixed this. So ulimit -s is not necessary in most cases.

But harmless. And it makes the test predicable across platforms. and if the StackSize test is forked, we can make it small to make it quick...

I'd still like to have a recursion limit in StackTest but Rana has convinced me that no SOE shouldn't mean that test has failed. I'll patch it now.

I agree that your fix is utterly bogus :) but we want to test SOE machinery, so I think that we should set the ulimit to ensure an environment in which the SOE will happen if DRLVM is working right. Therefore, we need to set things up such that not getting an SOE is indeed a failure.