I was told by someone at the online catalog system
that we use (LibraryCom), that you should be careful
that your barcodes for books are different from your
barcodes for patrons.

We prefix the patron number with a "p".

Also he suggested that if you buy, say 10,000
barcodes,
then you might want to assign book numbers from the
beginning (0001, 00002, ....)
and patron numbers from the end (9999, 9998, ...).

We have not actually purchased barcode labels
because our library is too small at this point to need
them.
Also, different systems use different kinds of
barcodes and scanners;
and we're not sure how long we're staying with
LibraryCom and what we would switch to.

Wow, this is my first possible posting.  [From the moderator: Mazal tov!]

Rose Myers
Community Library at the JCCS
Bridgeport, CT

Submissions for Ha-Safran, send to:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AJL HomePage                  http://www.JewishLibraries.org