I am a new school librarian
about to start a new half-time position at a Modern
Orthodox N-8 day school.
I have many of the same questions I've seen posted
recently about

* starting a new library:
     we have some books but need to order more;

* cataloguing systems---
     I've decided to use Dewey even though we are
starting with only Judaica;

* subject headings---
     I've been indiscriminately using whatever I can
find from other online libraries and MARC records;

* integrating the library into the school's
curriculum---
     are there day schools that offer library courses
to students,
     how often do librarians meet with each class,
     how often do classes go to the library,
     do they use the time there to do research or take
out books, etc.;
* where to take courses or find books to increase my
library and Jewish knowledge---
     after nearly a month of effort, I gave up trying
to register for this semester a little after I was
told that I could not sign up online or in-person for
an online course there.

Lurking hasn't given me the answers to the questions
that others have asked.
Should I email them to ask for the responses they've
gotten
or post my own set of questions through you?
Or am I also going to be told that I don't know enough
to ask anything.  The attack on the person who asked
for help organizing a collection had a chilling effect
on me.
(I have actually been working with a professional
librarian with an MLS at the local JCC but he can't
answer my Jewish and educational questions.)

Thanks for your help.

Rose Myers
Edith Scheinberg Educational Resource Center
Hillel Academy
Fairfield, CT
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

HaSafran - The Electronic Forum of the Association of Jewish Libraries

Submissions for HaSafran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org/