----------------------- Message requiring your approval ----------------------
From: "Steven M. Bergson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: [ha-Safran] Judaica Library in the News

from
http://www.tcpalm.com/tcp/palm_beach_news/article/0,1651,TCP_1020_2240320,00.html

Jewish Community Center's library looking for an
audience
By Patty Pensa
The Sun-Sentinel
September 7, 2003

WEST BOYNTON — It's been more than a year since the
Jewish Community Center's library opened, but the
297-square-foot treasure trove of Judaic books is
still looking for an audience.

The second-floor library, named for donors Ellen and
Murray Rosenzweig, began with a set of Judaic
encyclopedias and a few shelves of books. Consistent
donations have pumped up the collection of reference
books, cookbooks and novels to more than 1,000.

"We're still trying to build up our clientele," said
library co-chairwoman Renée McKible, 75. "The
challenge is our location. We're out of the line of
traffic."

Library volunteer Edith G. Dutkin, 72, said the
library in the JCC at 8500 Jog Road is not meant to
compete with the county's West Boynton Branch Library
to the south.

But it is meant to be the first stop for area
residents looking for anything with a Judaic theme,
she said.

"It's a wonderful place if a question arises, if
philosophy is in question or if you want just plain
wonderful fiction," said Dutkin, who lives west of
Boynton Beach.

Only JCC members can check out books, but anyone is
allowed to read in the small library.

More than 1,700 families are members of the Jewish
Community Center of the Greater Palm Beaches, which
serves areas west of Boynton Beach and Lake Worth.

To attract more patrons, library volunteers plan to
spread the word at club meetings at the center.

Signs resembling street signs will be set up near the
center's entrance to direct passersby to the library,
said Marsha Decker, director of adult services for the
cultural arts and special events.

The library also is set for expansion. Audio books and
children's books will be added soon, Decker said.

"Our library really started from nothing," Decker
said. "It's been a labor of love."

McKible was one of the library's creators. The nascent
library caught her attention after moving from Weston,
where she helped start a volunteer library in the
Bonaventure area.

McKible and a few volunteers spent countless days
cataloguing books before the library opened, and they
have continued to do so as donors drop off box loads
of books.

Money from annual book festivals at the center in
November has gone toward purchasing new books and
shelves.

Authors visiting the annual festival leave one of
their autographed books in the library, McKible said.

Most popular are the library's cookbooks, but its
biggest collections are fiction and Holocaust books,
McKible said.

The library is open from 10 a.m. to noon Mondays
during the summer. During the fall, it is open six
days a week: 10 a.m. to noon Sundays, Mondays,
Wednesdays and Fridays, and 1 to 3 p.m. Tuesdays and
Thursdays.

"It's so good. I want people to come in and experience
the library," Dutkin said.

For more information, call the center at 561-740-9000.