I hadn't intended ot write on this again, but , with all respect, I
cannot agree with Mr. Katz's dismissing reviews that appear in ideologiclaly
committed publications. (I leave aside the fact that the new historians
themselves tend to left-wing views which many say inform their own
historical work.)  Left of center publications like
the New York Review of Books and the Nation,and the New Republic
sometimes have excellent book reviews in my opinion.I think the same can
be said for right of center publications like Commentary and the American
Spectator. Ind ealing with Jewish matters, should we be dismissive of
reviews in the journals Tradition and Reform Judaism? I think I
would be crippling myself as a librarian if I was dismissive of them.

                              Shmuel Ben-Gad,
                              Gelman Library,
                              George Washington University.

Mme de Gramont...was called before the Revolutionary Tribunal  to stand
trial for her life.  "Had she ever aided the aristocrats who had escaped
abroad?" the court asked her.  Mme. de Gramont knew that if she answered
yes she would be guillotined at once. For some seconds she looked at her
judges in silence, then, "I was going to answer no," she said, "but life
is not worth the lie."--as related by Whittaker Chambers in Life magazine,
September 15, 1947.

HaSafran - The Electronic Forum of the Association of Jewish Libraries
Submissions for HaSafran, send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
SUBscribing, SIGNOFF commands send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Questions, problems, complaints, compliments;-) send to: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
AJL HomePage http://www.JewishLibraries.org/